Lydia Alhassan sworn in as MP for Ayawaso West Wuogon

Mr Joseph Osei Owusu, the First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, on Thursday, swore into office Madam Lydia Seyram Alhassan as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Ayawaso West Wuogon, in the Greater Accra Region.

Madam Alhasaan, who is replacing Mr Emmanuel Kyeremanteng Agyarko, beat three other contestants, in a by-election on Thursday, January 31, necessitated by the demise of the man she describes father of her children, on November, 21, 2018.

The business executive polled 68.80 per cent of the valid votes cast, while her closest contestant, Mr Kwasi Delali Brempong, the National Democratic Congress’ candidate polled 30.52 per cent. Mr William Kofi Dowokpor of the Progressive People’s Party polled 0.58 per cent, while Mr Clement Boadi of the Liberal Party of Ghana had 0.10 per cent.

The Minority in Parliament, however, walked out during the swearing in ceremony, saying they did not want to be associated with the violence, which occurred in the residence of their candidate in the election, Mr Kwasi Delali Brempong, leading to their recall of their agents from the polling stations.

Alhaji Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka, Minority Chief Whip, in his submission on the Floor of the House, stated that their walking out was in solidarity with the victims of the shooting incident, which saw seven persons hospitalised with various degree of injuries.

“It is to support our comrades and citizens that were unnecessarily hurt and brutally assaulted, I am sorry to say that with your indulgence, our side of the house cannot be here to witness this swearing in,” he said amid cheers from his colleague Minority MPs.

However, the Majority side disagreed with their stance and heartily welcomed Madam Alhassan.

Ms Sarah Adwoa Safo, the Deputy Majority Leader, expressed her displeasure at the posture of the Minority, saying that the swearing in was in line with the Constitution of Ghana.

“We will not be perturbed by the absence of the other side. Business will continue as usual,” she stated amid cheers from her side.

She also stated that the House would continue with the Business for the Day.

A couple of hours into the January 31 by-election, some unidentified armed men stormed the residence of Mr Brempong and had a confrontation with some NDC agents, leading to a shooting incident.

One person, who sustained gunshot wounds to his left leg, is still on admission, while the rest have since been discharged.

The incident has been widely condemned both locally and internationally amidst calls for thorough investigations from many national leaders, including President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.

The NDC has, subsequently, called on the EC to annul the results.

The EC, however, maintains that the electoral process was peaceful, free and fair and that the violent incident only occurred at the residence of the NDC parliamentary candidate, near the Presbyterian Primary One A Polling Station.

The spill over led to voting being suspended at that Polling Station for 45 minutes.

However, it was calm and peaceful at the rest of the 136 Polling Stations.