Makola market gutted by fire on Christmas Day

Fire has gutted some shops at the Makola market in Accra with general goods for sale up in flames on Christmas day.

The fire is said to have started around 10:30 am and it took personnel from the Fire Service several hours to quench it.

It is unclear yet what may have caused the fire. Eyewitnesses who were looking forward to an exciting Christmas sales have been left shattered.

They told Joy News’ Nancy Emefa Dzradosi, they saw a thick cloud of smoke billowing from one of the shops upstairs and they had to call the fire service.

Some of the salvaged items

Another claimed he had to personally ride an okada to the offices of the Fire Service before they were able to respond.

“We saw smoke coming out and we had to help ourselves by picking some of our things out of the shop. We are running at a big loss,” one of the eyewitnesses said.

Fridges, fans, air-condition and other home appliances have been burnt to ashes.  The victims say they are counting their losses.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.