Obengfo granted Gh¢50,000 bail

The Accra Circuit Court has granted bail to the Chief Executive of the Obengfo Hospital, Dr Dominic Obeng -Andoh aka Dr Obengfo, in the sum of Gh¢50,000 with two sureties.

Dr Obengfo was granted bail Friday after he pleaded not guilty to practicing medicine without licence and operating an unlicensed medical facility.

The embattled plastic surgeon had failed to appear before the court on two occasions due to ill health.

He, however, showed up in court on Friday, but had to be assisted in order to walk.

Hearing continues on July 6, 2018 by the court presided over, Mrs Harriet Jane Akwely Quaye.

Dr Obeng-Andoh, who is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Advanced Body Sculpt Centre, also known as the Obengfo Hospital, was charged with practising medicine without licence and operating an unlicensed medical facility.

He was slapped with the charges just three days after he had been remanded by the Accra Central District Court for the alleged murder of Ms Stacy Offei Darko, a Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the National Entrepreneurship Innovation Plan (NEIP).

Ms Darko died while on admission at the Obengfo Hospital on May 21, 2018 after undergoing a surgery allegedly performed by Dr Obeng-Andoh.

The medical officer was expected to appear before the Accra Circuit Court last Friday but failed to turn up because he was on admission at the Ridge Hospital.

According to the facts of the case, in July 2015, investigations by the Medical and Dental Council (MDC) revealed that Dr Obeng-Andoh had failed to renew his annual registration to practise since 2013.

The MDC, after further investigations, reported the matter to the police, and on December 20, 2016 the police went to the Obengfo Hospital to arrest Dr Obeng-Andoh.

“The police met him in the process of performing certain medical procedures on someone. Further investigations revealed that Dr Obeng-Andoh also failed to license his health facility, as required by law,” the facts indicated.

Dr Obeng-Andoh was charged with the offences and was expected to appear before the Accra Circuit Court on February 7, 2017, but he petitioned the Director-General of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service to review the investigations against him.

Based on that, the facts stated, the court process was temporarily suspended and the case docket was forwarded to the Attorney-General’s Department for advice.

Daily Graphic

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.